SSL VPN Client for iOS
The SSL VPN client for iOS is called Hillstone Secure Connect and it supports iOS 10.0 and higher versions. Hillstone Secure Connect mainly has the following functions:
- Simplify the VPN creation process between the Apple device and the Hillstone device
- Display the VPN connection status between the Apple device and the Hillstone device
- Display the log information
To use the SSL VPN client for iOS, download and install the Hillstone Secure Connect app from the App Store.
Deploying VPN Configurations
For the first-time logon, you need to deploy the VPN configurations, as shown below:
- Click the HSConnect icon located at the desktop of iOS. The login page of HSConnect appears.
In the login page, specify the following information and then click Login.
- Connection: Enter a name for this newly created connection instance.
- Server: Enter the IP address or the server name of the device that acts as the VPN server.
- Port: Enter the HTTPs port number of the device.
- Username: Enter the username for logging into the VPN.
- Password: Enter the corresponding password.
- 3. If the SSL VPN server enables the SMS authentication, the SMS authentication page will appear. Enter the received authentication code and then confirm it. If you do not receive the authentication code, you can request it after one minute.
- After logging the VPN server successfully, the deployment process starts automatically.
- In the Would Like to Add VPN Configurations page, click Allow.
- Enter your passcode. The passcode is the one for unlocking your iOS screen. With the correct passcode entered, iOS starts to install the profile.
Connecting to VPN
After the VPN configuration deployment is finished, take the following steps to connect to VPN:
- Start HSConnect.
- In the login page, enter the required information. The value of these parameters should be the ones that you have specified in the above section of Deploying VPN Configurations. If one of the parameter changes, you need to re-deploy the VPN configuration.
- Click Login. HBC starts to connects to the Hillstone device.
- Start Settings of iOS and navigate to VPN.
- In the VPN page, select the configuration that has the same name as the one you configured in the section of Deploying VPN Configuration.
- Click the VPN switch. iOS starts the VPN connection.
- In this VPN page, when the Status value is Connected, it indicates the VPN between the iOS device and the Hillstone device has been established.
Introduction to GUI
After logging into HBC, you can view the following pages: Connection Status, Connect, Log, and About.
Click Status at the bottom of the page to enter into the Connection Status page and it displays the statistics and routing information:
- The Connection Time: Time period during which the client is online.
- In Bytes: Shows the received bytes through the SSL VPN tunnel.
- Out Bytes: Shows the sent bytes through the SSL VPN tunnel.
- Server: Shows the IP address or the server name of the device that client connects to.
- Port: Shows the HTTPs port number of the device.
- Username: Shows the user name of the device.
- Server IP: Shows the interface’s IP address of the device that the client connects to.
- Assigned IP: Shows the IP address of the interface. This interface transmits the encrypted traffic and this IP address is assigned by the SSL VPN server.
- Mask: Shows the netmask of the IP address of the interface. This interface transmits the encrypted traffic.
- DNS Address: Shows the DNS Address used by the client.
- Route Info: Shows the routing information for transmitting encrypted data.
Click VPN at the bottom of the page to enter into the Configuration Management page. In this page, you can perform the following operations:
- Add a login entry
- Detele a login entry
- Disconnect the connection with SSL VPN server
- Enable/ Disable the auto reconnection
Adding a Login Entry
To facilities the login process, you can add a login entry that stores the login information. The added login entry will display in the drop-down list of Select in the login page. You can select a login entry and the login information will be filled in automatically.
To add a login entry, take the following steps:
- In the Configuration Management page, click the + icon at the top-right corner.
- In the pop-up window, enter the following information:
- Name: Enters a name as an identifier for this login entry
- Server: Enters the IP address or the server name of the device that acts as the VPN server.
- Port: Enters the HTTPs port number of the device.
- Username: Enters the username for logging into the VPN.
- Allow Sleep: After turning on this switch, the client can keep connected while the iOS is in the sleep status. With this switch turned off, the client might disconnect the connection and cannot keep connected for a long time while the iOS is in the sleep status.
- Click Confirm to save this login entry.
Deleting a Login Entry
To delete a login entry, take the following steps:
- In the login entry list, click the one that you want to delete and several buttons display.
- Click Delete.
- Click Yes in the pop-up dialog to delete this login entry.
Disconnecting the Connection or Logging into the Client
To disconnect the connection or log into the client, take the following steps:
- In the login entry list, click a login entry.
- In the pop-up dialog, Click Logout / Login to disconnect the connection or log into the client.
Enabling/ Disabling the Auto Reconnection
After turning on this switch, the client will automatically reconnect to the server if the connection is disconnected unexpectedly.
To enable/ disable the auto reconnection, take the following steps:
- Enter the Configuration Management page.
- Turn on or turn off the Auto Reconnect switch.
Click Log at the bottom of the page to enter into the Connection Log page and it displays the connection log messages.
Click About at the bottom of the page to enter the About Hillstone page and it displays the information of version, copyright, etc.